History of Central Baptist Church


Central Baptist Church began in 1931, when it was known as Tabernacle Baptist (the name was changed to Central in 1950). Although the name has changed, the location has not, with the church occupying the same corner lot for 85 years!




The first building the church used was the office building used for the construction of the Maysville-Aberdeen bridge. Once construction was completed, the vacant building was moved to the corner of Central and Brooks and the church was started. In 1933, an auditorium and three classrooms were added to the church.


In 1961, construction began on the current Sanctuary. The old building was demolished and a parsonage was added to the lot. Throughout the years, the church was able to acquire other lots. In 2005, after acquiring other adjacent lots, construction began on a new fellowship/education building. At the same time, the basement of the Sanctuary building was redone to house new classrooms and an updated nursery.




Throughout its eight decades of existence, Central Baptist has long supported the work of missions. The church gives to the Cooperative Program (the missions arm of the Southern Baptist Convention) as well as our local Bracken Association. Several members of Central through the years have gone to the mission field, either as career missionaries or on short-term trips. Many of our congregation continues to be involved in Disaster Relief ministries.


Here in Maysville, Central is committed to serving our community and offering opportunities for people to both come to faith in Christ and also to grow in that faith. We have weekly Bible studies, Sunday School, and worship services, as well as special events (like Vacation Bible School, community dinners/cookouts, and a Halloween Carnival).


Throughout the challenges and changes of the past 85 years, one thing has remained the same: God has been faithful. Our prayer today is that we will be found faithful in Him, so that He may one day say to Central Baptist Church, “Well done, good and faithful servants.”




T. Howard Kingston (1931-1939)

Wilson L. Crumpler (1939-1941)

James W. Cummins (1941-1943)

G. R. Reynolds (1943-1945)

E. V. Woffard (1945-1947)

Henry Chiles (1947-1951)

Wilson L. Crumpler (1951-1963)

J. Lonnie Bradley (1964-1967)

Jack Bruce (1967-1973)

Charles Hedrick (1973-1981)

Truett Cocanougher (1981-1991)

Milford Stanley (1992-1994)

Bob Donovan (1995-2011)

Mark A. Powell (2011-Present)

Sunday School           9:30am

Morning Worship     10:45am

Evening Worship       6:00pm

Wed. Bible Study       6:30pm

437 Central Ave.
Maysville, Ky  41056
Find Us on Google Maps
    This site was designed with the
    website builder. Create your website today.
    Start Now